Wednesday, October 30, 2013

HALF TIME!

The time has finally arrived.  Half time!  After a not-so-exciting first half, I was looking forward to hearing the band.  The drum majors, dance team, and flag bearers had returned, dressed in Les Miserables costumes, and once the field cleared, they took their places.

I have frequently felt bad for the band when the stands cleared, but never more so than this time.  I had seen firsthand how hard they had worked and prepared.  The west stands had emptied pretty well, but the students remained.  I was glad for that.


After the Homecoming festivities were over, the band came onto the field and began their performance.    They performed several songs from Les Miserables, the dance team performed, and the drum line had a wonderful solo that included drummers shifting from drum to drum.

The flag team is dressed as peasants.


And then it was time for the fight song.  Oh boy.  Amazingly, I was not a bit nervous.  I think it is because I knew that no matter what I did, the band would continue playing.  As I climbed onto the podium, the announcer said I was the Band Director for the Day, the drum major started the band, and we were off!  


I looked at the jumbotron, only to see a fat woman leading the band . . . oh, that's me!  I looked away, and continued directing until the end of the fight song.  It was really fun.  And then it was over.  

The band came off the field, and I once again found myself in the middle of a bunch of instruments.  The students filed back up into the stands to get ready for the third quarter.  There is no rest for the weary!

No comments:

Post a Comment