Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Game Time!

Back when I was in school, we had a yell leader named Larry Dixon who led the students in cheers.  And we actually cheered with him.  Now Dr. Tracz is the one who gets the students involved . . . and he does so in a big way.  I neglected to mention that at pre-game, when the students are in the stands but no one else is, the students and the band have a whole routine.  The students sit down during the fight song, then suddenly pop up and begin their roudiness.  Dr. Tracz just fuels the fire!

And if I thought things were busy before, once the game started, things moved at lightning speed.  I always wondered how the band knew when to play . . . now I know.  One of Dr. Tracz's staff members stands next to his podium, headset on, voice ready.  He has a direct line to "the god of football logistics."  That person tells him how much time they are going to have to play, what is on the video board prior to the band, or anything else he needs to know.  The conversation to Dr. Tracz from the staff member might have been something like this:

"Two minute break; Junior Wildcat; Fan of the Game; 45 seconds to play."
"No. Injury on the field.  Only 30 seconds."

In that time, Dr. Tracz has to decide what tune the band will play, signal the band members, and be ready at a moment's notice.  Then he may have to change the tune because something unexpected - such as an injury - has occurred.  He has a set of cards that he shows the band, and when it is time, the students know what they are to do.  They have choreographed certain drum movements, trombone movements, tuba movements . . . and they are hilarious.

Now, not to seem like a wimp or anything, but for some reason, despite the fact that I love bands, I am grossed out by instruments that collect saliva.  Let's leave it at that.  So, as I am standing below Dr. Tracz's podium, I see the trombonists start to empty their trombones . . . right next to the wall where my coat is.  Oh what to do?  I don't want to seem rude . . . but I really don't want saliva all over my coat.  So I walked over and began to move it.  One of the trombonists commented that he was really glad I did that because he would have felt really bad if he had dripped on it.  I was so grateful he had noticed and had been careful.  I asked about a suitcase that was next to the coat, but they said they could work around it.  Great . . . frankly I surprised myself that I didn't gag on the spot (but as I type this, I am having a little trouble :)  So I put the coat down out of harm's way, and the game went on!

Every time something great happened, Dr. Tracz got the band going. . . and the students.  He kept the entire section energized, despite a rather lackluster half.  When the West Virginia punter had a little trouble, some of the horn section started yelling, "High School punter."  Suddenly, a football came reeling towards us . . . the punter missed his practice net.  It almost hit me, but I wonder if he did it intentionally to shut the band up.  Didn't work!  Got worse!

At the quarter, the drum majors, baton twirlers, flag team and others left to change costumes.  I wondered what that was about but knew I would soon find out.  Then with five minutes left in the second quarter, the band began to empty onto the track to get ready for the half-time show.  Uh oh.  That meant my directing opportunity was about to come up.  It was going to be fun.  So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment