Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Making Connections

Throughout the day, I talked with a variety of people with whom I made connections.  The baton twirlers' coach is originally from Dodge City, and Don's family knew her dad.  One of the twirlers took lessons from Erin Hiers, the daughter of some friends from Dodge City.  I heard that the male drum major was from Dodge, so I asked him if he knows my nephew, Eric.  Not only do they know each other, they were in Les Miz together in high school.  I went to one of the performances, so I saw him in the production.  Who would have known?

Then there were the connections with the young people.  I met several high school students who were visiting from Maize and Kansas City.  As I walked off the field after half time, a number of the band members asked me if I had fun.  One of the tuba players stopped to talk with me.  The dance team members smiled at me as I directed, then encouraged me afterwards. The drum majors talked with me.  The staff members lent their support as well.

The handshake with Arthur Brown and Tyson Hartman, seeing Gordon Dowell from the Foundation (who had Mr. Navarro, another band supporter, with him), running into Casey Scott (who was in our wedding), as well as getting to see Dr. Tracz in action . . . well, I had no idea the day would be so action packed.  Several times I felt dizzy, there was so much going on.  I had no idea . . . and the day wasn't done!

No comments:

Post a Comment