Monday, October 28, 2013

Tailgating with the Band

As if practicing from 9:30 - 11:30 and playing during a football game from 2:45 - 6:00 is not enough, Dr. Tracz takes a group of pep band players to the parking lot between practice and the game.  I don't know how many tailgates they play for, but for several years they have played at a tailgate at the end of our row.  So I asked Dr. Tracz if it would be possible for the band to come by our parking spot.

Sure enough, about 12:00, the band begins to walk up and Dr. Tracz informs me that I am going to conduct them.  I put Babs back in the RV (how could I conduct with a dog in my arms?  I mean, really.)  I grabbed my baton, sidled up next to Amy (the real drum major), and . . . the band started sitting down on the ground.  The trombonists were lying down . . . I didn't know what to think.

Amy blew her whistle, and the band started playing . . . at half speed.  The trombonists lazily began to stand up, and at the end of the first verse of the fight song, I thought they would play at a normal tempo.  I started to pick up the pace . . . (and proof that the students know exactly what to do) . . . they just kept the same beat.  Once everyone was standing, then they double-timed it - just as I directed!  Ha, ha!



Afterwards, they started to play the Wabash Cannonball.  Of course, I had to abandon my post for a moment to get involved with the Wabash, but then I went back to help Amy.  I knew she couldn't do it without me!

Then they were off to the next tailgate down the row.

Only Don and I knew they would be there, so our group was pretty surprised . . . and we attracted quite a group of spectators from neighboring fans.

The band members are quite funny . . . and energetic.  And I hadn't seen nothing yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment