Saturday, March 9, 2024

Church Winery

We are beginning to learn about New Zealand wines, and one of the stops on our tour was to the Church winery. (I wonder how many times someone has told their family they are going to church but divert themselves to this winery - you know they wouldn't be lying!) The tasting building is a former church, and its bright, clean atmosphere invited us inside. Set in front of us were five different cheeses along with five different crackers and a variety of other little snacky items. Then we were provided a taste of five different wines. My not being a very discerning taster nor being a wine lover left me at quite a disadvantage - they say there is a essence of grapefruit and oak with a nutty flavor, but I don't get it. I did discover, however, that with certain cheeses, the wine became tolerable, and I even somewhat liked one of them. And I did say "somewhat." This is the first real wine tasting I have ever attended . . . and it is the most wine I have ever drunk (maybe 1/2 glass) . . . but an enjoyable time was had by all, and we were back on the bus for our next adventure.

Blog Archive