Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Since I have been retired, I have been baking more.  I am still not very good at it, and I have a lot to learn.  But one thing I know for sure . . . there is no such thing as the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.  Everyone has their own preference, and what is one person's perfect cookie is another person's average one.

Cook's Illustrated published their version of the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  I have to admit it was very good, but it was a lot of work.  In order to make it perfect, the butter had to be browned, after the sugars were mixed the cook had to wait to seven minutes before mixing . . . too much work, and I didn't think they were that much better than most.

Diana thinks she makes the perfect cookie.  She never uses a mixer, preferring to do the combining and creaming by hand.  She puts in more brown sugar than most recipes require, and again, they are very good.  But I don't like to do the hand-work necessary.

I have experimented with many different recipes, and my current favorite comes right off the back of the Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chip package.  I love the taste of the milk chocolate chips, and this particular recipe has just the right consistency and taste.  I made them last week while at the cabin, and I liked them especially up there.  I think something about the high altitude made them cook just a little differently, making them particularly crispy on the edges but chewy in the middle.  Cooking them at home makes them not quite so crispy, but I like them anyway.  And the best part?  The raw cookie dough is amazing.  And isn't that why we REALLY make chocolate chip cookies?


2 comments:

  1. yes. yes it is. In fact, I have a baggie in my freezer of cookie dough that I made a few nights ago. I refuse to bake it, claiming that it is too hot in Austin to turn the oven on. So I have dined on cookie dough on several occasions recently.

    The Ghirardelli recipe is good, but it doesn't quite have enough salt. nor enough brown sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a pretty good one that is from the New York Times - but it is a TON of work - you have to let the dough sit for 24 hours in the fridge! That's why I make so many sugar cookies with the recipe I do. NO CHILLING. No waiting. Just stir and cut and bake. (And then spend eight hours frosting!)

    ReplyDelete