Sunday, June 17, 2012

Landscape Quilts

At Kenneth's rehearsal dinner, my good friend Kathy Gunter Davis asked if she could spend a few minutes with us before the dinner started.  Unfortunately, it didn't quite happen the way she envisioned, but perhaps it happened better.  About 20 minutes after people began to arrive, in walked Kathy's adoring hubby, Walt, with a large picture in hand.  Large.  3 feet by 4 feet, maybe.

They put it down on a bench as we gathered to look at it.  I said, between tears, "What a gorgeous picture of the cabin you painted."  She corrected me.  "It's a quilt," she said.  And indeed it was.  A beautiful landscape quilt of the cabin.

Not long after, she brought me a similar quilt that now proudly hangs in our family room.  Every day, I get to see it . . . and love it!

Today, I gave Diana her quilt.  She was ecstatic!  The colors below do not do it nearly the justice it deserves, but perhaps you can see that the screens on the porch shimmer, due to the tulle that she put over the brown material.  If you could look closely, you would see the trees have needles, the rocks are variegated, and the side of the cabin is shingled.  It is truly exquisite.


When I talked to Kathy about her quilting, she told me that she entered her copy of the same quilt in a quilt show in Oklahoma.  Entrants submitted quilts that told about their home state, so Kathy submitted the cabin quilt.  I am not a bit surprised that she took first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment