Saturday, June 2, 2012

Wildflowers

One of my favorite walks in the Pecos is to the top of Grass Mountain.  It is a shortish hike, challenging but not too, beautiful with vistas and forest.  We were told about a new trail to the top that would eliminate the most challenging portion of the walk, so we tried it.  Amazing.  We ended up at the same place with much less stress.  If I had known about this trail when the Ramseys came to the cabin, Aubrey might not hate hiking!

Anyway, I took my wildflower guide with me, as I forget year to year what flowers I have put in it.  I am glad to say that every flower we saw on the hike was in my guide.  Made me feel really good that I had covered the majority of the flowers that bloom at this time of year.  Iris, golden banner, strawberries, Richardson geranium, groundsel, Indian paintbrush . . . and more.  I was delighted! 



The day was picture perfect.  It was cool enough for a long-sleeve shirt, but too warm for fleece.  The sky was cloudless, the wind was light, and birds were noisy . . . spectacular.  Once we got to the top of the mountain, Bart and Jerri spent a little time photographing the vistas.  Their pics are better than ours, but here's a little of what we all saw. 








No comments:

Post a Comment