Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Trying To Be A Foodie!

Today I went back to the farmer's market to see what my friends at Verdant Farm had available today.  They were out of tomatoes, but they had plenty of other good vegies to buy.  Their lettuce was lovely, so I had to have a bunch of it.  Even though I didn't need a red onion, it looked so good, I couldn't resist.  And I am not a big cabbage fan, but I figured I could do something with it.  Then they had some Vietnamese basil that I had to try.  So I bought a bag of it.  I decided against the dill, however.  I had to leave something for everyone else.

When I got home, I put "recipe for cabbage, basil, and tuna" in my Google toolbar.  Up popped a number of recipes, so I chose a cabbage salad, with a dressing made of lime juice, fish juice, sesame oil, and sugar.  The salad consisted of sliced cabbage, mint, basil, carrots, and cilantro.

I got to use my cool herb scissors to cut the mint and basil.  They are so handy to have - I splurged on them, but I use them a lot.


And although I didn't have any carrots, I figured it wouldn't alter the taste much.  Then the tuna needed to be covered with sesame seeds, and I threw it on the grill.  After slicing it, the dish looked like this:


I was so proud of myself!  I used fresh ingredients along with some that I had on hand to make a healthy meal.  Don is so easy to please, I knew he would love it.

WRONG!  For some reason, something in the salad just didn't strike his fancy.  He loved the tuna, but the salad just wasn't his thing.  We couldn't exactly figure it out because he likes cabbage, and many of the ingredients are used in another dish I make that he really likes.

So much for this recipe.  I will finish the cabbage salad because I like it, but after that, I will have to find something else to make with cabbage, basil, and tuna!

1 comment:

  1. He could always come to Austin and learn to live like a grad student: 3-day old rice with some strange tomato-based sauce with green beans, garlic, onion and tuna. It's surprisingly delicious, but nothing like a cabbage salad with fresh herbs and tuna...

    ReplyDelete