Thursday, June 7, 2012

Farmers' Markets

We have several farmer's markets in town, and I usually go to the one right near my house.  I normally pick up a few tomatoes or a cucumber, maybe some meat or honey.  On occasion I might find something unusual, but I have to say I have been generally uninspired by what I find.  It just has seemed to be the same old, same old stuff.  Last Tuesday, one person had some interesting squash, but I am tired of squash, so I didn't get that either.  But I believe in buying locally when I can, so I try to support the local merchants as much as I can.

Wednesday morning, however, I went to a new Farmer's Market a few miles away.  I went because some friends of mine were displaying their produce there, and I wanted to see what they had.  And at their Verdant Farm booth, I felt like I was at a Farmer's market in California.  Not only was their produce beautiful, it was displayed attractively.  The red onions mixed in with the yellow ones, gorgeous white scallions, hearty red beets, chard . . . I wanted to take it all because it looked so appealing.

I had never bought chard before, and Dana convinced me to take it home.  It was very good, and I will buy it again.  Beets and scallions were the other two purchases of the day, and the beet soup was really good.  Don doesn't particularly like beets and beet soup isn't his favorite, but he even thought it was great.

The Mandas jumped into organic gardening a year or two ago, but last year was so hot, I only went to one farmer's market.  I saw their booth and purchased some food, but the heat sapped any energy I had for cooking, and I doubt that I paid much attention to what I was cooking.

This year, I am totally on board.  The Verdant Farm booth was a breath of fresh air.  Beautiful, tasty produce attractively displayed . . . can't beat it!  I have become their #1 fan . . . and I can't wait for next Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment