Friday, June 1, 2012

The Pillars of the Earth

I am so proud of myself.  Yes, indeed.  Proud.  I just finished The Pillars of the Earth.  Now I know many of you have read it, but this is quite an accomplishment for me.  I started it last weekend . . . and here I am, done.  Mind you, Diana read it in a day . . . but I am not Diana.  And this is a miracle.

I purchased it for Di when Oprah was raving about it, and Di confirmed that it was a great book.  As a matter of fact, just last week she said it was still her favorite book . . . which is saying something, since she has read many more books than I.  Our book club decided it would be our summer read, so I determined to read it early.  So glad I did.

For the first 600 pages, I couldn't put it down.  The intricately-woven plot kept me guessing throughout, and Follett's well-drawn characters were likeable or loathsome, but never uninteresting.  The reader could not feel ambivalent about any of them, and the various mysteries surrounding them don't become totally clear until the very end.

Although the last 300 pages seemed a bit contrived and too tidy, it ended up being satisfying.   Perhaps it ended a little too perfectly, but there was plenty of imperfection in the story.  Follett certainly did study the medieval times, construction, and the church, and the history alone is worth taking the time to read.  If you haven't read it, put it on your list.  Don't let the over 900 pages scare you. Diana is right - it is a fast read.

No comments:

Post a Comment