Monday, August 11, 2014

Little Shop of Horrors

Driving to the town of Florence from our campground, we noticed a sign for the Darlingtonia Wayside Natural Site.  Darlingtonia?  I did not know what it was so I asked Dr. Google, and after finding out, we made sure to stop by.

The site was just off the road, and a 100-yard walk later we were there.  We read about what the Darlingtonia, or pitcher plants, are.  I have always been fascinated with them; as a matter of fact, I even owned one, though not this kind.  Anything that eats flies and mosquitoes is a winner in my book!




I was a little concerned that the plants would not be obvious, but we proceeded ahead.  No worries!  Although the spot for plants was small, they were prolific.  And despite the fact that they were in a bog, there were no bugs.  None.  It was a delightful place, off the beaten path, but worth the stop.


Little Shop, Little Shop of Horrors

No comments:

Post a Comment