Monday, August 12, 2019

Talking to the Ground

Peter and Claudia gave us a book to read called Talking to the Ground.  I brought it with me in case I would have time to read, and indeed, I have.

The book is a memoir in some ways of the author's journey across the sacred lands of the Navajo people.  He convinced his fiancé and her daughter to join him on a horseback ride through some of the Navajo's most sacred lands.  In the book he documents the ride, complete with interviews of many of the Navajo people.  As one who has studied the creation stories of many people, he wanted to explore the Navajo story from the ground and from those who live it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Douglas Preston's writing style is easy to read, and the way he infuses the Navajo story into the documentation makes it less of an intellectual paper and more of an "Oh, so that is what that means!" kind of book.  I found myself totally intrigued with his explanations and being from New Mexico, more than interested.  I thought I understood a lot of the Navajo thinking, but I discovered from this book, that I did not.

What I have most loved about the book is that much of the Navajo thinking speaks to me.  There were so many places in the book that I thought, "Yes, I can definitely see that."  This book has enriched my thinking, opened my mind, and helped me understand.

My only criticism of Mr. Preston is that they took his dog with them, but she was never allowed inside the tent with them - even in the worst of the weather.  Poor Acomita - what were they thinking?  The dog went with them the entire 400 miles - she deserved better.

No comments:

Post a Comment