Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Love My _____ Life

Yesterday while in the doctor's waiting room, I picked up a Redbook magazine. One of the features in it is a column entitled I Love My ____ Life. They ask celebrities to fill in the blank and write about it. In this case it was Trisha Yearwood, and she said she loves her dogs' lives . . . which would also work for me, because our dogs have it pretty cushy.

But then I decided that I really love my kids' lives. They have grown up loving to learn, and their extraordinary education has fostered it! This love and wonder of learning has led them to do such interesting things - travel to India, Laos, Vietnam, Brazil, Europe, and Hong Kong; eat chicken feet, fetal duck, and eel; study in other countries such as Spain and the UK; as well as enjoy the many wonderful sights in the US. They read fascinating books - biographies of Ronald Reagan, War and Peace, Atlas Shrugged, and many others. They talk about politics and economics, religions and beliefs, sports and health. And they have fun with their many friends.

This generation connects with each other differently from the way we connect with our friends, but it is in some ways better. They keep track of each other, and although they may not talk frequently, they certainly do chat! I have been thrilled to watch the world through their eyes, and although I am sure my parents thought the same thing about our lives, I love my kids' lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment