Saturday, July 27, 2013

Hot, Hot, Hot


In March, 2012, when we went to Fairbanks, we spent time at the Chena Hot Springs.  It was the first time in a lot of years that I had been to a hot springs.

On Thursday, we went to the Liard Hot Springs outside Muncho Lake.  It was similar to Chena Hot Springs but like going to Florida . . . except for the wildlife.

To get to the springs, one has to walk on a raised path for about a quarter of a mile.  The path goes through a very marshy area, created by the heat of the springs.  The plants in the area resemble those in the everglades.  The closer to the springs we got, the more like a tropical forest they became.  A special minnow, a kind of chub, has even adapted to the hot water and now lives there.




The actual springs have been newly renovated so that they are very pleasant.  The temperature of the springs was quite warm - 113 in one pool; 108 in the other.  Don and Di found the 113 pool to be way too hot, and even Chris decided it was too much.  Apparently the 108 pool was to their liking, however, as they stayed in it quite awhile.


Since I was carrying Babs, I did not get into the pool.  Instead I headed back to the car.  Nearly there, I heard some rustling in the grasses.  Expecting to see a moose, I scanned the lake to see what I could find.  Instead, I saw a pair of black ears.  Yikes!  I knew immediately it was a bear.  With Babs in one arm, I tried to turn on the camera with the other hand to get a picture.  The bear heard the camera, stood up on his legs, looked at me and ran off.  Did I get the picture?  No.  But will I always remember it?  Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment