Saturday, July 27, 2013

It's For the Birds


Wednesday's drive from Dawson Creek was so uneventful, I didn't know what to write about.  We saw many trees, many oil wells, fracking spots, and other sights.  But we did not see one moose, deer, bear, elk, caribou, sheep or goat.  Not one.  Despite many warnings that there were moose crossings or elk crossings, we did not see anything.

The one thing I have noticed, in all of our campgrounds and drives, is the scarcity of birds.  I expected the forests here to sound like the forest where our cabin is - wrens singing, robins chirping, squirrels chattering.  But it is not like that here.  

In most of the campgrounds, ravens are about the only birds we have seen.  We have read about different ones - water dippers, sapsuckers, warblers, but with the exception in Lake Agnes, we have not heard or seen any of them.  We did hear a woodpecker in Banff, and I did see one robin.  Katie saw two bald eagles.

I am wondering whether we are too far north for most birds.  I would have expected many more, but so far, there has been a dearth of them.

The one highlight of the bird variety was today when I saw two large crane-like birds.  A quick check of the internet showed me they were sandhill cranes.  I have probably seen sandhill cranes at the Bosque del Apache in New Mexico, but they were not that close.  So I was pretty excited to see them.

We are told tomorrow we will see caribou and bears.  We are looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment