Wednesday, July 24, 2013

On the Prairie

If I had slept for three weeks and awakened today in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, I could have thought I was in Kansas.  Three months ago, in early May, I took this picture of a canola field west of Kingman.  We had never seen a canola field before, and we were very impressed with the bright yellow of the flowers.


Today, as we drove out of Grande Prairie, this is what we saw.


Can you tell the difference, eh?  (Trying a little Canadian on you!)

We also saw wheat fields, some similar to those in eastern Colorado that are far larger than a section.  I have never seen such a large wheat field, but Don had when he would go to his Uncle Royce's in Arriba, Colorado.  

The rolling hills around this part of Canada are certainly different and more prevalent than Kansas.  It looked a lot like the Flint Hills, with yellow canola flowers covering every possible hill.  Also, the greenery was more of a forest kind, but it did grow in shelter belts, just like home.

When we arrived in Dawson Creek, we saw this lovely wood grain elevator.  They have turned it into a museum, but we thought it was beautiful.



I had known that there was farming in Canada . . . I don't know what I expected it to look like, but if I did not know any different, I would have thought the yellow flowers were the poppy fields in The Wizard of Oz.


No comments:

Post a Comment