Thursday, August 29, 2013

Betsy, a Bestie


Once we arrived in Fairbanks, I knew it wouldn't be long before I got to see Betsy.  Childhood friends are the best, and Kathy, Betsy, and I go back a long ways.  So it is always fun to get together again.  Saturday night, we picked up pizza and went to her house.  I could have stayed all night.  


Betsy has experienced more in her little finger than I have in my whole lifetime.  She has climbed numerous mountains throughout the world, she used to snow camp (too cold for me), she walks 7 miles one way into their cabin, she cross-country skis . . . get the idea?  She leads a very active life, and she is as fit as can be.

Betsy has had several different careers.  With a degree in landscape horticulture, a master's in biology, and a master's in fisheries, she is qualified to do most anything out-of-doors.  Then she acquired a teaching license and now teaches second grade.  Her biology and fisheries training make her an awesome science teacher, and her natural inclination to be outside broadens the horizons of her students.  I would have loved having a teacher like her!

Betsy and Kathy have always been the crafty ones, too.  I have Christmas decorations from both of them from many years ago . . . and Betsy added to my collection.  She is learning to weave birch bark.  She showed us several of the baskets she has made - stunning - and this is a picture of the ornament she gave me.  I love it!



I always feel better after a "Betsy fix."  Thanks, Betsy, for being such a great friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment