Saturday, August 10, 2013

Fishing for Silvers

I love to fish.  I especially love to fly fish, but I am discovering in Alaska, I won't be fly fishing the way I usually do.  But that's ok.  I am learning about other kinds of fishing.  But I digress.

I love to fish for many reasons, the least of which is to catch the silly things.  If you catch them, then you either have to release them (which sometimes can be complicated) or keep them, which means you have to kill and clean them, neither of which I like to do.

So why fish?  Well, first of all, no one cares what you look like.  Today I had my purple KSU fleece on, my white raincoat, a funny white hat with my rainhood, and my purple wellies over my jeans.  Lovely.  But Don took the cake today:


Well, I guess his clothing is coordinated, but the net on his head set a new standard!

Second, the things one sees in nature beats any fish I can catch.  I think today was my favorite ever.  As we were throwing our lines into the stream, I kept hearing a bird.  I could not find it, but it was pretty loud and very talkative.  Finally it screeched loudly enough that I found it sitting on top of a tree.


It followed Katie and me down the stream, telling us to catch a fish for it.  We were not successful, but somehow I do not think it is going to starve.  How many times will I ever get to fish with a bald eagle watching over my shoulder?  I doubt very many more times.  Which is why this time was so special!

No comments:

Post a Comment