Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tough People

As we have driven to Talkeetna, we have been struck again by how many homes and businesses are vacant or for sale.  I do not know if the recession of 2008 is responsible, or if that is the way Alaska always is.

But we have realized that living in Alaska is not easy.  The half of the Alaskan population that lives in Fairbanks or Anchorage has it easier, but even they rough it in many ways.  Whether it is having to have water brought in to having a septic tank to enduring cold weather to driving on icy streets, it is doable, but not as easy as living in Albuquerque or Wichita.

But those who live in the middle of nowhere are even more hardy and tough-minded.  Many of them have no plumbing, they heat with wood, and sometimes they are home-bound for days or weeks at a time.  Medical services are few and far between, stores are limited, and eating out? Not happening.

We have met many young people who come to Alaska on a lark and then go back to the Lower 48 for the winter.  Then they return for the summer.  But many love it here so much they end up staying, despite the cold and dark winters.

I would love to think I could live here, and the idea of the dark, the auroras, the snow, fascinates me.  But I am afraid after two weeks, the novelty would wear off and I would be yearning for my easier life in Kansas.  I am impressed by the independent nature of the Alaskans and would like to think I could do it.  But I would not take bets on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment