Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cribbage


I love the game of cribbage.  I always have.  Ever since Dad taught it to me when I was little, I loved to play it.  Dad got such a kick out of me saying, "Muggins" if someone missed a play that he gave me that nickname.  

Unfortunately, I have a bad rap.  No one will play it with me.  They think I win too often.  It is not true, but I cannot seem to escape it.

I also love cribbage boards.  We have several at the cabin, so I do not need any more of them, but I always find them and wish I could use another one.  (One at the cabin was from my grandfather's friend, Uncle Buck, so it is near and dear to our hearts.)

When we were at Wal Mike's, he had several cribbage boards there.  One was a handmade wood one that was too expensive, and there were several other faux ivory ones that were pretty, but way too heavy to take with us.  So I passed, knowing I would just enjoy looking at them.

Wednesday night, Bart came in to give me a gift - an Alaskan cribbage board.  It even has a magnetized cover to keep the pieces in it.

But I still had a problem.  No one would play cribbage with me.

Luckily, Bart took pity on me.  It has been so long that I had to remember the rules, but it came back quickly.  I managed to squeak out a win, but only because I got to count first on the last hand.  Otherwise, it would have been Bartley Always Wins!

Kenneth then wanted to refresh his cribbage skills.  We played several hands, and before he left we played two games.  In the first game, Kenneth had a hand I have never seen before.  He had four 8s and two 7s.  What a conundrum.  I helped him with it, and he scored 24 points + 14 in his crib.  That gave him an edge in the first game, and I won the second.  Since we each had won one, we had a final championship game.  The score was tied with one hand left to play.  I came up one point short, and Kenneth became the champion cribbage player.  

Thank you, Bart, for my cribbage board.  It means more than you know!

1 comment:

  1. We always played with my dad's parents on a beautiful hand made board. With my mom's dad we played on a five dollar board from Alco, but both games were always fun.

    ReplyDelete