Monday, April 20, 2015

Dettifoss

We have figured out that Iceland is big on waterfalls.  And we have tried to catch each one.

Dettifoss, purported to be the most powerful waterfall in Europe, was off the road a ways, up a a narrow road.  When we arrived, we started to walk on a trail that was marked with red snow markers.  It didn't take me long to figure out that my wellies would be a good thing to wear.  So back to the car I went.  Voila'!


And wow, am I glad.  It was a sloppy, snowy, muddy mess, but I could walk around in my wellies and have dry feet.

A woman came to our car asking if we knew where the path was.  No, we didn't, but we asked her to join us.  Off we went, venturing through the red-rod-marked path (which is not so easily followed, by the way.)

As we approached the falls, we met three young men.  One of them, a red head with a red beard, commented to make sure we looked at the snow near the falls.  "It looks like nature was on LSD," he said.  We did not know what to expect, but once we arrived it became abundantly clear.


The falls themselves were not half-bad either.


The other falls just up the river.
The walk was about 2 miles total through mostly snow and sludge, so I am glad I brought my wellies!

No comments:

Post a Comment